Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Plight of Being a House Wife

The stay-at-home-mom. It's what every new mother hopes to be but only a small few actually get that opportunity. The cost of living, especially in Seattle, is so high that most families need two incomes to make ends meet. The few of us that actually get to work from home or solely take care of our children are viewed as lucky - and we are! But, don't think for a minute that we are not working.
Taking care of an infant is a full time job that comes with many hardships. It's an ever changing atmosphere governed by your baby's mood. For those, like me, who have a job as well that is done from home, work on some days is impossible to complete.
Yet, we trudge on. We clean the house, make dinner, do the laundry all on a stop-and-go basis based on how your child is that day. It's easy to get frustrated and that's okay! Sometimes, Baby just wants to fuss. Go for a walk with him in a baby carrier. Chances are that he's tired, but too tired to nap. A walk will be a good breather for both of you.
Still, after working for decades and being on equal ground with your partner as far as bring in the dough is concerned, the social dynamic has shifted. I find that I have lifted my head out of the sand to realize that my friends are far away and more difficult to reach.
I know that this is not true. Especially since most of my friends are new stay at home moms themselves. It's that we are so wrapped up in our newborns that when they become a little self sufficient and we have a second to reflect on our surroundings we realize that we have been removed from the social world for months.
It's normal to crave adult contact. You don't always realize that you do crave some adult conversation. Go out for a coffee with a friend, or go to the park for a play date, even if your child is too small to enjoy the park. He will like being outside and looking at the surroundings and other kids.
Being a stay-at-home-mom and working from home takes up a lot of your time, but at the same time, have lots of free time as well. Find hobbies to do to keep yourself busy. I'm not saying sit in your rocking chair on the porch and knit sweaters, that's not for everyone. But, find something to help you keep your adult identity.
Before I left the work force (actually almost as soon as my work found out I was pregnant) they addressed me as "Mama" which I was soon to be. But, it saddened me that I was no longer considered anything but a mother. I was to be a mother, but I saw it as just an added layer of my current identity. Remember! You are an onion with many diverse and colorful layers. You are a mom AND everything else you want to be.
More on being a stay-at-home-mom:

http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/07/what-do-you-do-a-stay-at-home-mothers-most-dreaded-question/277939/

No comments:

Post a Comment